“This medical device manufacturer wanted to upgrade its next-generation technology reached out to VCC, we met those needs and more with a custom solution.”
Light Ray Simulation
Design for Manufacturing
Custom Wire Harness
“In many cases, the simpler a device looks on the outside, the more complicated it is on the inside.”
Design Engineer, VCC
Our team decided to take a step back and look at the client’s design needs from a more holistic angle. We discovered we could not only provide the desired illumination and visual properties required but also optimize the existing design to save even more on production costs. Creating soft illumination throughout the intricate logo design required significant modeling to provide maximum brightness and uniformity along with a 150-degree viewing angle.
To test our concept, we provided a 3D prototype that was printed in our advanced design lab. Ultimately, VCC was able to create a more comprehensive solution that streamlined the client’s supply chain by providing a turnkey solution made up of:
- Light guide design, including simulations to determine how the light would perform
- Plastics manufacturing to produce the light guide
- PCB assembly
- Connecting internal components in house, including a backlit display, integrated card reader technology
- Adding wire harnesses
Our team ran simulations to determine the ideal angles, placement, and composition of the LEDs and other illuminated components to achieve the desired visual properties.
Custom PCB Assembly
- Incorporated a metal core for heat dissipation
- Simplified the shape of the board, resulting in significant savings on materials
- Used a white solder mask to improve efficiency by 5% over the industry standard black overlay
- Added connectors, wire harnesses and other components to the back of the PC board, saving manufacturing steps and costs
Once assembled, this multi-layer solution includes the front logo panel, light guide in the same shape as the logo, and white metal PCB core with a simplified shape.
“VCC took a simple component requirement and turned it into a comprehensive solution. Redesigning and manufacturing critical systems, our team reduced costs and TTM — while delivering a fresh, modern design!”
VP of Sales, VCC
What could’ve been a simple LED order became a total solution where VCC helped the medical OEM reduce costs, complete more production steps at once and get their products into spas and medical centers even faster and more effectively.
In addition to providing the LED and illuminated components that were part of the original request, VCC offered: